Friday, October 12, 2012

Training Week - Alanya, Turkey

Yesterday I came home from my work related trip to Alanya, Turkey. The trip meant making sure 5 mentally challenged kids/adults would have the time of their lives. My girlfriend and I worked for 7 consecutive days doing our best to make sure everyone had an awesome experience. For me, this made an impact on my diet as well as my training. This entry will take a look at how I planned and executed things during these seven days in Turkey.


# General
The first task of the trip was keeping the diet in order. Luckily, we had an all-inclusive hotel which meant three main buffets each day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Adding to that they also had some pastry buffet each evening between 4-5. I had brought my food scale with me so I could weight everything if I wanted to. Usually, every meal was a combination of a few weighed items as well as a few items added on a hunch. The only real exception was the late night meal which usually consisted of a protein bar (had brought 9 bars with me).

Salad - a great way to still eat with the gang without adding too many calories.

# Proteins
I decided early on that my main protein source would be eggs. Each morning, before everyone was awake, I'd go down to the restaurant and take 12 boiled eggs from the buffet. Approximately 4 eggs would be the base for each major meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Rest of the plate would be filled with a few other protein rich items (for example chicken or kebab). The eggs were peeled and stored in the hotel room fridge. I weighed them and put them in bags of 200 grams each. Then, during the day, I'd just fetch a bag when it was time for a meal.


# Fats
To the hotel I had a jar of peanut butter with me. This would be my main fat source. The jar was emptied 2 days before heading home, at which point I bought myself a bag of cashew nuts. 50 grams of peanut butter or 50 grams of cashew nuts were added with each breakfast. Sometimes I added a little during lunch and dinner as well.


# Carbohydrates
There wasn't really any idea on which carbohydrates I'd be eating. Mainly they came in form of ice-cream, cakes, pastries or anything that I'd want to taste. The main meals were mostly consisting of fats and proteins. The carbohydrates added came (mostly) from deserts and other kinds of treats.


# Cheating
Instead of having a whole cheat day (which I'm used to), I had a few cheat meals every now and then. Adding to that, I wasn't that hard on myself if I wanted to deviate from the diet. If the energy level was low and we'd be out walking for an extensive period of time, I'd have no problems with cheating. Usually that meant buying some ice-cream or eating a candy bar. However, major meals such as having a pizza or eating at a restaurant were planned in advance.




# Supplements
The usual arsenal of supplements that I take at home were carried with me. That meant taking my vitamins and omega 3 in the morning as well as my minerals and CLA in the evening. Other than that, the usual whey protein powder, BCAA, creatine and even pre-workout was carried with me. Whey protein and BCAA was excellent for those days were we'd walk for an extensive period of time. If there was any doubt as to when I'd get a chance to eat, I'd either have Whey or BCAA in a bottle with me.

All the usual supplements were packed in portions (no container).

# General
Doing morning walks or intentional cardio was out of the question. I was there for the kids and whatever training I'd be doing would have to be spent before they all were up and awake. Since keeping muscle mass was my number one priority, the strength training was the only thing I'd prioritize. Besides, I knew that there'd be plenty of walking done. This very fact meant that I'd have to prepare all my shakes after everyone was asleep and before I'd be going to bed myself. The next morning I'd have to get up early and walk to the gym (about 10 minutes away). While there, I'd have a quick training session before heading back home to the hotel and wake everyone up for breakfast.

Tom's Gym - The place for my morning workouts.

# Cardio
While there was no intentional cardio or morning walks, there was definitely a lot of unintentional dito. Most of the time we didn't take the bus and we never bought a taxi ride. That meant walking for several hours each day. Adding to that, we also made sure that each day meant a trip somewhere. I was in no way short of the 45 minutes of walking I'd spend each morning back home in Sweden.

Lots of walking done on these streets. Enough to cover the
usual 45 minute morning walk done back home in Sweden.

# Strength training
Prior to heading to Alanya I had done some research. I found a gym within walking distance and that would become the one I'd be heading to each training day. While going to that gym the first morning, I discovered another gym just 200 meters away. They both gave me the same price (15 Turkish lira for each training session). However, only one of the gyms opened at 8 in the morning. I could not train any later than 8 o'clock due to me having to be back at the hotel before everyone was awake. Therefore the choice was easy. The gym of choice was Tom's Gym (which, coincidentally, is the name of the gym owner at my gym in Sweden). Before heading to Alanya, I had also prepared a list of the workouts that I'd be executing each day. Hence, I didn't have to plan my workouts while being there (with one day as an exception). They were instead planned in advance.







Above are a bunch of pictures of the training equipment used during the week
spent in Alanya. Only one image is from outside of the gym (due to the gym
being closed on one of my pre-planned workout days).


Quads pic taken in the morning (prior to workout).


# WORKOUT: QUADS, ABS


# Barbell Squat To A Bench
- Set 1: 8 x 44 lbs (20 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 44 lbs (20 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg) 
- Set 5: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 6: 8 132,2 lbs (60 kg) 
- Set 7: 8 x 154,3 lbs (70 kg)
- Set 8: 8 x 220,4 lbs (100 kg)

# Leg Extension Machine
- Set 1: 8 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 2: 8 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 132,2 lbs (60 kg) 
- Set 4: 8 x 176,3 lbs (80 kg)

# Cable Crunches
- Set 1: 12 x 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 2: 12 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 3: 12 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 4: 12 132,2 lbs (60 kg) 
- Set 5: 12 132,2 lbs (60 kg) 
- Set 6: 12 154,3 lbs (70 kg)
- Set 7: 12 154,3 lbs (70 kg)
- Set 8: 12 176,3 lbs (80 kg)
- Set 9: 12 176,3 lbs (80 kg)
- Set 10: 12 198,4 lbs (90 kg)

# Workout Notes:
Got up early on the second morning spent in Alanya. I took my pre-workout drink and creatine, packed my whey and BCAA and headed off to the gym. Unfortunately I got the notice that you had to bring your own towel, and, that you weren't allowed to train without socks. The owner borrowed me a towel, sold me a pair of gym socks (1,5 lira) and I was good to go. The workout felt good. I felt strong and I had no issues executing what I was supposed to do.


Side chest pic taken in the morning (prior to workout)


# WORKOUT: CHEST, BICEPS


# Flat Push-Ups / Neutral Grip Pull-Ups (Superset)
- Set 1: 8/6 x Bodyweight
- Set 2: 8/6 x Bodyweight
- Set 3: 12/6 x Bodyweight
- Set 4: 12/6 x Bodyweight
- Set 5: 12/6 x Bodyweight

# Flat Push-Ups / Incline Push-Ups (Superset)
- Set 1: 20/14 x Bodyweight
- Set 2: 12/6 x Bodyweight

# Leaning Biceps Curl With Rings (Using Bodyweight)
- Set 1: 12 x Bodyweight
- Set 2: 12 x Bodyweight

# Workout Notes:
Second day of training was filled with bad luck. As usual, I made my walk to the gym only to be met by a cleaner. I asked if the gym was open and he assured me that it was, but, it wouldn't be ready until 2 in the afternoon. I went back home to the hotel (already had my pre-workout in me) and spent some time with the kids and my girlfriend. We made a deal, where I'd get to train later while everyone else was eating lunch. It was almost 2 o'clock when I started heading to the gym once again. This time no one was there. A lady walked by and asked me what I was doing. I told her that I was waiting for the gym to open. She said that it was closed. I told her that the cleaner had told me that it'd be open at 2. She said she'd called the owner (who was her brother). She asked if I could wait for 10 minutes and I said that it was fine. 10 minutes later the owner comes down only to tell me that the gym is closed for the day (due to it being Sunday). After this I start heading towards another gym close by - it was also closed. A few Turks are sitting outside and they noticed that I'm looking for a gym. They give me a few directions to yet another gym. I start walking again, but the gym is nowhere to be found. Finally, I walk past a restaurant and I talk to one of the waiters. He tells me that they got some equipment down by the beach. I head down there and I find a few rings and bars that you can hang in. I decide to make the best of the situation. A quick superset workout using only bodyweight was the best that I could come up with. Finally, I head home, eat my own lunch (which is readily available in our hotel fridge), and call it for the day.


Lat spread pic taken in the afternoon (after workout).


# WORKOUT: BACK, TRAPEZIUS, FOREARMS


# Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
- Set 1: 8 x 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 77,1 lbs (35 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 99,2 lbs (45 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 121,2 lbs (55 kg)
- Set 5: 8 x 132,2 lbs (60 kg)
- Set 6: 8 x 154,3 lbs (70 kg) 

# Cable Seated Row
- Set 1: 8 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 2: 8 77,1 lbs (35 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 4: 8 99,2 lbs (45 kg)
- Set 5: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)  
- Set 6: 6 x 121,2 lbs (55 kg)

# Back Extensions - Hyperextensions
- Set 1: 12 x 22 lbs (10 kg)
- Set 2: 12 x 33 lbs (15 kg)
- Set 3: 12 x 44 lbs (20 kg)

# Barbell Shrug
- Set 1: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 121,2 lbs (55 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 132,2 lbs (60 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 154,3 lbs (70 kg) 

# Reverse Barbell Curl
- Set 1: 8 x 44 lbs (20 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 66,1 lbs (30 kg)

# Palms-Up Barbell Wrist Curl Over A Bench
- Set 1: 8 x 55,1 lbs (25 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 3: 8 66,1 lbs (30 kg)

# Workout Notes:
After having taken a day off from the strength training due to us doing a long trip outside of Alanya the previous day, it was finally time to get back into the gym. This time there was no bad luck. Everything was packed and ready from the night before. I woke up, went down to the restaurant and filled up on eggs. After that I took my pre-workout drink and started walking towards the gym. Had a good session there, went back home and continues the day.


Triceps pic taken at the gym (during workout).


# WORKOUT: TRICEPS, HAMSTRINGS


# Close Grip Bench Press
- Set 1: 8 x 44 lbs (20 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 55,1 lbs (25 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 5: 8 x 99,2 lbs (45 kg)
- Set 6: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)  
- Set 7: 8 x 121,2 lbs (55 kg)
- Set 8: 8 x 132,2 lbs (60 kg)

# Cable Triceps Pushdowns (Straight Bar)
- Set 1: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 110,2 lbs (50 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 132,2 lbs (60 kg)

# Lying Leg Curl
- Set 1: 8 x 33 lbs (15 kg)
- Set 2: 8 x 44 lbs (20 kg)
- Set 3: 8 x 55,1 lbs (25 kg)
- Set 4: 8 x 55,1 lbs (25 kg)
- Set 5: 8 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 6: 8 66,1 lbs (30 kg)
- Set 7: 8 x 77,1 lbs (35 kg)
- Set 8: 8 x 77,1 lbs (35 kg)
- Set 9: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 10: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 11: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)
- Set 12: 8 x 88,1 lbs (40 kg)

# Workout Notes:
As usual, the shaker was prepared from the night before. I woke up, stocked up on eggs and took my pre-workout drink. After having done the usual routines I headed off to the gym for my last workout before heading home to Sweden. I had a good session there, but had to switch a couple of exercises due to lack of equipment - for example: Close Grip Bench Press instead of using a Smith Machine (which was broke). I said farewell to the gym owner and got back to the hotel where I ate breakfast with the kids and my girlfriend.


No comments:

Post a Comment