Saturday, January 12, 2013

Every scar is a lesson learned

Every scar is a lesson learned - that is basically how I view all the damage I've done to my own body. In my past life I've been idle. I've been afraid of progress as well as of discovering the world and changing things in order to accomplish something better for myself. I've been stubborn (I still am), selfish, and I've made sure that no one except me would have say in how I live my life. Having that said, to this day, I firmly believe that each individual is the only one who gets to decide about the destiny of their own body. However, what's even more strongly rooted in my beliefs is that we need help and guidance (not guilt) in order to find the right path.

Hopefully my lessons can be valuable ones for others as well...

For me, finding the right path early on could have meant saving myself from a long and hard journey. It could've meant saving myself from the constant questioning about whether I can or cannot accomplish the physique I'm struggling to achieve. It could have meant saving myself from going under the knife and removing approximately 1.5 kilos (3.3 lbs) of excess skin. It could've have meant that I, today, would have been much closer to the physique I'm trying to accomplish. It could've meant a lot of things.
"For me, the scar signifies something good in my life. It's a marker of what I've accomplished and what I'm willing to go through."
But, the fact remains, I never chose the right path for my body until later in life. In fact, I didn't even think it was the right path until I started walking a fair bit on its somewhat bumpy surface. It took me a long time to get used to the ground beneath my feet and the support as well as reassurance from others helped me endure its hardships. That is why it warms my heart when I see young people struggling at the gym. It's inspiring to see their determination, to see that they've started walking on that bumpy road at a much earlier age than I did. I admire them and their will to accomplish something great with their body and it fuels my passion for the culture and sport of bodybuilding as well as fitness.


People sometime ask me about the little road that run across my abdominal area. I always tell them about the operation and what I've gone through and I can't help but to feel baffled when I sometimes see pity in their eyes. They might say "Oh, you poor thing" or "Well, it'll probably go away, don't you worry" as if the scar would somehow be a mark of shame. For me, the scar signifies something good in my life. It's a marker of what I've accomplished and what I'm willing to go through. It's a constant reminder of the good choices I've made, of progress, of willingness to change and learn new things. It is, from my point of view, a lesson learned and I hope that it can serve as a valuable lesson for others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment